Wednesday 19 January 2011

Different layouts for my second ancillary- newspaper website



I decided to do a website for my second ancillary because this is a good way to promote my newspaper as well as it would be a good media product for the readers to view as it is accessible anytime they want. I was going to do a radio advert but I changed my mind because I thought that I can target more audience by creating a website and it is less likely for my specific target audience to listen to the radio.


This is the layout that I decided to use because it follows a few convention of a newspaper website such as having the logo of the brand (Lambeth Press) as the banner situated at the top alongside with additional information such as the date, weather etc and also a search engine to make it easier for the reader to access what they are looking for in a much quicker way.  I decided to section the pages in different categories such as News, Business, Travel, Lifestyle and Arts. This is to help the website to have a friendly user effect as well as to make it look clean and professional rather than different types of news scattered over the page. I decided to have some pictures on the page because I don't want it to look over the top with texts and also the photographs can give more in depth information about the articles. I will have a one top headline which will be written in a black, bold and bigger than the other texts, this is so that the headline can stand out and grab reader's attention. Below that, I will be writing an article about the headline that I have chosen and this will be in two columns because like I said I don't want the page to look too busy with texts (so much going on). The homepage will also have a side bar which will contain more latest news, I will do this so that readers can easily see or have a quick overview of all the news and to be able to find out what's going on in general ( local, nationwide and worldwide).  When I was doing my research , all the newspaper website has an advert on their homepage therefore I will follow this convention . I was only going to have an advert on the side of the homepage. However, while I was trying to construct this layout I felt that there  was a big gap at the bottom of the page. I realized that it will be hard for me to find a landscape picture and fit it in the space, because there isn't a lot of space the picture will then look stretched, deformed and pixelated. So I decided to just make another advertisement to fill in this gap. 



Before deciding which layout I will be using for my website, I created different ones so that I can have a better understanding on which one looks the best out of all of that I created.  This one (above) is quite different from that final one that I have chosen. This layout is more crowded and busy. The (menu) name of the different sections of the pages are in a horizontal box. After looking at this final layout I decided that I immediately didn't like it, the main reason is that:  the page looks crowded and the positioning of the pictures and texts aren't nice. For instance, the article for the headline is divided into two columns just like my final layout that I will be using but in this layout the articles are not next to each other which might create confusion for the readers as they may think that it will be two completely different articles. 



This  is a similar one with the final layout that I will be using.  The only difference is that instead of the banner right at the top, it is now below the date, weather and search engine which is fine but I still prefer the final layout because I think  the positioning of that one is  better.  Also, this one will contain a video which means that I need to input extra effort as I will need to record my own original video for it. 



This layout (above) is also good because I think it also looks professional just like the final one that I have chosen. However, I felt that the advertisement space at the bottom of the page is too stretched and it will be hard to fit one within this amount of space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment