Monday 27 September 2010

Research and presentation session

This week I started my PowerPoint presentation and I used Microsoft PowerPoint as this is the most suitable program to use when doing a presentation because it has features that makes it easier to do a presentation; for instance you can easily add a media clip (e.g.: movie and sound), you can easily design the slides, customise the transition of each slide which can make the presentation more interesting. In addition, users are also able to make their own charts (bar, pie, line charts); this will be useful for me because I can use this to illustrate and compare my results from my questionnaire later on. 
            I decided that my main portfolio project is a local newspaper with two ancillary projects which will be newspaper poster and two hyperlinked pages from newspaper website. My newspaper is going to be called Lambeth Press. I decided to name it after the Borough that I leave in so it will be easier for me to write an article/news about the area.  My target audience are lower to working classes but mainly parents and elderly people because I think those age group  are the ones that will be mainly interested in what’s going on within the local area. 

             I analyzed a lot of newspapers but the two main models I used are:


           For the first newspaper which is the South London Press I analyzed and spotted that The masthead is straight forward which shows important information such as the name of the newspaper and date of the publication. The lead headline is big enough to catch readers attention and also the space is used well as the headline is written over the picture and the story is in short paragraphs in small fonts. Also the byline is published in bold which shows the name of the reporter who wrote the story. Even though, the main model (person) in the picture is on the side, the picture  was still used effectively as they put the text over the background, so no space was wasted.


For the second design which is ‘The  Lite’ newspaper I learned these following things:




               In addition, I also brain stormed the generic conventions of a local newspaper. Using an Internet and hard copy of newspapers I found out some of the local newspaper’s name that exists in the market such as London 24, Stratford Express, Kilburn Time and East London  Advertisers.



No comments:

Post a Comment