Monday 8 November 2010

Planning the nameplate/masthead for my local newspaper.

According to my research the best way to identify what a nameplate is: 'It's a banner or a title area that indicates the name of a publication which is often misidentified as a masthead.'
 There are different types of nameplates and some of them are:


- With advertising: I found out that there are usually mixed opinions about selling ad space above the nameplate. However, for papers that does this; the ads can have the effect on drawing the readers focus to the top of the page. But they have to make sure that they don't overwhelm the page.





- Blocking: This visually separates the nameplate within a block of colour which can give a  more page dominance as it draws all of the weight to the top of he page to showcase the paper's brand.





- Clipped images: This type of nameplate includes an interweaving graphics or clipped images which can bring a typographic logo to life. It is assumed that the readers are forced subconsciously on to the photos and faces, which means that they are to separate the images from the template and in the process it builds their connection to to the brand and its content.






 
I used Adobe Photoshop to make my own unique nameplate/masthead and this is what I came up with:


¢This is my nameplate/masthead for my newspaper. I used blue because this colour is associated with the local area. (For example: the Lambeth logo is originally written in colour blue with a yellow design on top and  also the colour scheme of the Lambeth council website is blue and white.)
¢I decided to add a cropped and edited picture of Lambeth Townhall because I think that this is a good image for my newspaper as it represents Lambeth well. I edited the original photo because I think that the original photo didn't go too well with my layout and also I went for a 'traditional' black and white look for the nameplate because I think that this will appeal more to the readers as most newspaper masthead looks traditional such as 'The Times'.


I used Adobe Photoshop because this enabled me to edit my original photo of Lambeth Townhall in a lot of ways. I was able to  zoom in, crop, change the contrast and add an effect on the picture which helpedmy nameplate to look eye catching. Also there are  range of different font styles and colour swatches which gave me more options and visualise which looks better  for my newpspaper front page.

No comments:

Post a Comment