Monday 11 October 2010

Newspaper layout for Lambeth Press

I used internet and hard copy of local newspapers I then analysed the layout of it. I learned about the different type of newspaper layout conventions. Obviously, the nameplate/logo is always on the top of the page which should be bold, attractive and has got something to differentiate the product from its competitors. Dateline is used to show when the publication was written. The headline is always in bold and bigger font size than the rest of the texts. The lead headline usually starts with a bold letter to show the readers that it is the beginning of the paragraph/article. There is sometimes a subhead line for the article. In every article a by-line is used to show the name of the reporter who wrote the story. If there is a picture on the page there is always a caption to explain what the picture is showing and who’s in it; anchorage- which means that the caption ties down the meaning of the photograph(s). In some newspapers, they include a side bar on the front page to briefly show the other important articles, which then have a jump line to inform the readers of the page  where they can find the story.

I now have an adequate understanding of newspaper layout conventions. I am planning to follow some of this. However, I will challenge some forms and not follow some of the conventions for my local newspaper.  I used the program Adobe In Design to create my own unique layout that I will be using for my production.




These are the two unique layouts that I came out with. They are both similar in a way that they both have article columns at the bottom of the page and the lead headline looks just about in the same position for both layout.  The main differences are the positions of the lead article picture and the advertisements. I am planning to use either of this however, there is still a chance that the layout for my real project might change depending on the photographs that I will be using and the amount of articles I will be writing on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment